I like to think about the role science plays in society. Especially biology. Especially genetics.
Here are some questions that I’m asking:
- Why do we think genes are the “secret of life”? What is gained and what is lost by
- Are modern technologies such as gene editing and assisted reproductive technology leading us into a new age of eugenics?
- Is eugenics ever OK?
- What are the risks of medicine driven by the profit motive?
- Science is to 21st century America what painting was to 17th century Netherlands, what exploration was to 15th century Portugal and Spain—the dominant cultural enterprise of our age. Why? What are its pleasures and dangers?
- What is the role of the humanities in this science-dominated age?
I also like words. They’re my favorite toys. So caveat lector!